Liver Spots and Aging

Rascal asks:

Hey guys I don't write much but today I got that all inspired question. Do Bichons get liver spots as they get older?

My male Bichon rascal is 6 1/2 and i thought at first i wasn't washing well but the closer I look it looks like liver spots.

Has anyone else had this with their Bichon?

Thanks Linda and Rascal

ElliesMomPaula responded:

Hi Linda & Rascal,
Well I had the same kind of question. I noticed Ellie Mae has spots on her belly now too. But then I remembered my sister's dog who was also white but not a Bichon got the same thing and figure you probably notice it more on a white dog.

But in searching I found this answer:
It is possible it is from the sun as dogs can get them for the same reason people get freckles, from the sun. You really have to think back to what she has been doing and where she has been in regards to sun exposure.
Also do they bother her in any way, do they feel different in texture to the rest of the skin.
Most important of all is the shape or size changing in them.
Are they protruding above the normal level of the skin are they palpable.

If the answer is yes then get her to the vet immediately.
I am not sure if you are aware that the breed is white but some do have cream or peach markings and the skin is supposed to be darkish which does mean that pigmentation can and does happen.

Think about it, the halo round the eye is desirable so if it has a halo why should there not be other pigmentation on the body.
To confirm my last statement here I did a net search and came up with this:
The Kennel Club Breed Standard Colour White, but cream or apricot markings acceptable up to 18 months. Under white coat, dark pigment desirable.
Black, blue or beige markings often found on skin.
http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/discoverdogs/toy/y904.htm and Official Website for The Bichon Frise Club of America, Inc.

By the way, the dog that develops ''freckles'' or brown or black splotches on his body has skin pigmentation that is normal and that is actually a sign of very good pigmentation.
http://www.bichon.org/faq.htm

Hope this helps, it made me feel better.
Paula & Ellie Mae

Rascal responded:

Paula and Ellie Mae, thanks for all your research. I really thought i was loosing it. Couldn't figure out if he had them before or not. They are freckles they don't protrude just flat oval shaped. Thanks again. Just discovered someone answered my post. Rascal


No comments: